The founding and development of the Antalya Museum has an interesting story. The Italian forces, who occupied Antalya on March 28th, 1919, began collecting the antique items found during their exploration of the region and transporting them to the Italian Consulate.
However, high school teacher, Suleyman Fikri, who had an interest in history, opposed this situation. By rearranging the small abandoned mosque next to the Tekeli Mehmet Paşa Mosque, he laid the foundation of the Antalya Museum. He, then, transported the historical artifacts, that had been collected by the Italians, to this museum. Today, located in Konyaalti, the Antalya Museum, which is one of Turkey’s largest museums that has been designed with contemporary concepts, has 13 exhibition halls and an open air gallery. There are approximately 5000 artifacts exhibited inside the museum, which is situated on an area of 7000 m².